Friday, March 12, 2010

Labor of Love






Growing up I always told my mom things last minute. I was the Kid who at 11 pm said, " Oh yeah! I forgot. I have to bring 2 dozen cookies to school tomorrow" and then she gets frustrated 'cause I didn't tell her sooner. This is the perfect recipe for those that are told late in the evening that their kid has to bring cookies in the next morning. But before you begin you should know, Mexican Wedding Cakes are a labor of Love. You will be up for about 2- 2 and a half hours later making these gems.
All that said, Last night I decided to make Mexican Wedding Cakes for the Stache Bash tonight. Mexican wedding cakes are those kind of cookies that have the simplest ingredients in them which can be found in your everyday kitchen: Flour, confectioner sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla, almonds and butter. The recipe calls for blanched almonds. Definitely DO NOT skip this step!!! The skin of the almonds slides off perfectly. The only thing that is awful is that this recipe is a labor of love. After the dicing of the almonds, which takes a good amount of time, you have to pick the skin out of the pile and that too is time consuming... enjoy your time in the kitchen!

No comments: