Monday, May 10, 2010

Santa Barbara wedding... yuuuup!


I have been taking inventory of my life lately. I'm trying to root out all those things in my life that I don't actually like doing, and figuring out what I really want. There's a pretty good size amount of things I've been doing for so long, and for what? I have been stuck in a rut of sticking around when I don't necessarily feel called to, but do so because I feel bad or think that if I don't step up, no one will. I wonder what the Lord could have actually done long ago in ministries, in my life and in others if I would have just left. God has this gigantic plan and most of the time I unconsciously put up every kind of barricade. I know God is going to accomplish His plan with or without my compliance, but it makes me wonder still. What could have happened if I was more sensitive to God's voice? I always seem to think that God's will is something to attain. And once I have it then... well, then what? But it's not. The Bible says that a man can plan his steps, but ultimately it's God who directs them. So what have I been doing with my life?.. Have I really been waiting this long, looking to be in " God's will" when all along I could have stopped striving, and just enjoyed my life, and the desires God has place in me?

Last night I was reading Jeremiah 46. In chapter 45, all these prophesies are given out regarding the nations surrounding Israel, and in chapter 46, God addresses them. The first part of the prophesy had to do with a battle, and starts to talk about a coming invasion to Egypt. " So Egypt is to be invaded. It is to be defeated by Nebuchadnezzar, but yet they will inhabit the land." In the last couple verses of chapter 46, God gives encouragement to His people. In verse 27 He says, "Jacob shall return, have rest and be at ease." And it got me thinking... Why have I for so long not been at rest or at ease? Why is it that though the Bible says, " Be anxious for nothing", I am still incredibly anxious? And why have I been doing things that make me unhappy?

I shot a wedding last night in Santa Barbara. It was beautiful! And although I was running around like crazy, sweating, and caring so much camera equipment, for the first time in a LONG time I felt as if I really was at the right place at the right time. I was truly enjoying the moment, the memory, the Life the Lord has given me to be lived out. I kept thanking the Lord for allowing me the privilege of being right there, right then. And so I encourage you: Have rest and be at ease!

No comments: