Thursday, August 21, 2008

the LORD is thy keeper

THE LORD IS THY KEEPER; THE LORD IS THY SHADE UPON THY RIGHT HAND.- psalm 121:5

    " now to Him who is able to keep  you from falling to present you blameless and faultless on that day," Jude writes (vs24).  I'm so glad i dont have to keep myself. I'm so thankful i dont have to struggle and strive to make it in my christian experience. I'm so relieved that the Lord is the One who promises to keep me.
             the story is told of a man who wanted to cross a frozen lake. He got on his knees by the edge and tapped on the ice to make sure it was solid. then he carefully scooted out on his hands and knees and tapped some more. when he found it was still solid, he scooted still farther. Every few feet, he would tap the ice to make sure it was strong enough to hold him. the hours went by. his face turned blue. his knuckles turned red. he was almost to the other side when he heard a rumble behind him. as he looked back he saw 12 clydesdale horses  pulling a heavy wagon. they made it across the lake in a few minutes, leaving the man to think how foolish he had been.
           we are like that man. we wonder if we are going to make it in our christian experience. " tap, tap, tap, I wonder if the Lord's going to keep me." we say. tap, tap, tap, i wonder if He's going to continue to work in my life." doubt fills our minds.  Discouragement fills our hearts because we dont realize that we;re on solid ground. the Lord has PROMISED that He would never leave us or forsake us, that we are in His hands, and that no man can pluck us out. what a difference it makes when the truth sinks into our hearts that we can rest in God's keeping power.
            Newer translations render the word " shade" as  "shield." In battle , soldiers would be exposed on their right side because they wielded  the sword with their right hand. Here,  the psalmist is saying that the Lord is the shield in the area that is vulnerable to attack.  You know  the areas of strength and weakness in your own life. Here, the lord says he will shield,protect,  and cover me  in the areas where I am most vulnerable.

--------------- jon courson------------------

 the Lord is able to keep what i have committed to him until that day.

the Lord is able to perfect that which concern me!

No comments: